Wednesday, May 13, 2009

post #3

I was born in the Dominican Republic and I was raised there until I moved to New York City when i was 8 years old. When I lived in the Dominican Republic I never felt like i was part of the lower class. I use to think that's how everyone lived. My family over there never really spoke about what class they belonged to or that they wanted to improve their status. They mostly cared about getting an education. It was interesting the fact that woman were always taught to stay at home and take care of the family, but the woman in my family wanted no part of that. My mom had 4 brothers and 3 sisters and all of the sisters went to college and graduated. Only one of the brothers got a college degree, the rest were put to work at a very young age. The woman in my family were very driven to make something of themselves. The men always seemed to want to settle with what they had but yet the woman were always looking for ways to get ahead in life. They understood the fact that they were part of the lower class, though never they never spoke about it, you can tell by they're every move what they were trying to achieve. My mother was the first of 5 woman from my family that immigrated to the U.S. in search for a better life for her and her kids. None of the men from her generation have even attempted to leave towards the U.S. I look up to all the woman in my family who have accomplished things that many Dominican woman from their time can only dream of.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! It's fascinating how these things break down and the patterns that occur in families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In most of the country of Latinoamerica, most of us never worry about status or class. The fact that be happy and have food on the table is good.

    ReplyDelete